Friday, January 29, 2010

Cesarean Preparation and Support

My husband and I were elated at the news of our pregnancy. Working at Blossom, I hear so many women’s birth stories and was truly excited to experience my own. We planned for a natural birth without medication and took Blossom’s Bradley childbirth course. We learned a lot of valuable information and gained wonderful tools to use in labor. We also took Blossom’s Practicing for an Active Birth workshop, which gave us more tools to add to our birthing toolbox. In addition, we hired a doula to assist us in labor. My husband was excited to be my birth coach and I felt confident and supported for the journey ahead.

Around my twentieth week of pregnancy, I was diagnosed with a low-laying placenta. I was told that there was no need to be alarmed as the placenta’s placement usually moves up as the uterus grows. An ultrasound at 32 weeks confirmed I had a placenta previa, a condition where the placenta covers part or all of the cervix, obstructing the baby’s exit through the birth canal. Another ultrasound at 36 weeks verified that the placenta was not moving up and that a cesarean delivery was the only option for us. Going into labor posed the risk of hemorrhage, so a cesarean was planned at 38 weeks. This was not the direction I wanted to go, or the scenario we had so diligently planned for, but it was necessary for my safety and the safety of our baby.

Grudgingly, we got ready for our cesarean birth. I was filled with so many emotions. I was relieved to know that my baby would be born safely. On the flip side, I felt anxious at the thought of undergoing major surgery. I also felt sad and disappointed that I would not get to deliver her naturally. I felt like I was missing out on an amazing rite of passage and had to mourn the idea of not going through labor to deliver my baby. Many well-intentioned people told me that I should just be happy that we were both safe and healthy. I was happy for our health and safety, but I also had to acknowledge the other emotions that I felt. For me, recovering from a cesarean was emotional as well as physical.

Fortunately, being a part of Blossom’s community offered a lot of support to prepare for this twist of events. Talking with instructors, reading books and watching videos from our lending library helped me to learn what to expect for my cesarean delivery. Connecting with other Blossom moms who had cesarean births was also invaluable. They understood my mixed emotions and provided comfort and support.

While my husband and I knew ahead of time that this was our path, many expectant parents do not prepare for this turn of events. Many don’t believe it will happen to them. Others feel that the small mention of cesarean sections in their childbirth class will be sufficient. It is true - for many, it will not happen, and for many, the limited cesarean information from a childbirth class may be just enough. On the other hand, for others, devoting focus to this possibility, however undesirable it may be, can cultivate tools, awareness, and groundedness in the face of a cesarean birth.

According to the National Center for Health Statistics, in 2007 the national cesarean rate was 31.8%. With one in three births in the United States ending up in a cesarean delivery, planning for this possible event can be a helpful addition to one’s childbirth preparation. Cesarean sections are the most common surgery for women in North America, according to medical author and local birth activist, Henci Goer. Many of these surgeries are done unnecessarily, and can often be avoided - see the Childbirth Connection article on tips to increase your likelihood for a vaginal delivery.  A cesarean section is major surgery, and knowing what to expect as well as cultivating tools and resources for the birth and recovery can make it a much smoother experience.

Our own Blossom community has offerings to prepare and support moms regarding cesarean deliveries. Blossom now offers a Cesarean Awareness Workshop. This two-hour class focuses on:
• Mindfulness techniques to use for stress and pain coping during delivery
• What goes on behind the O.R. doors
• What decisions you can make that aren't dictated by medical routine
• How your partner and other support people can help
• Welcoming your baby
• Coping with healing, including mom and baby's physical wellness
• Ways to get good start on nursing
• Honoring this rite of passage into new parenthood
• Wisdom, ideas, and resources from other parents who have gone before through the unknown of cesarean delivery.
This in-depth workshop is a must-have for expectant parents and is now offered at a discounted price if registering for a childbirth prep class or Blossom discount package.

In addition, Blossom hosts a monthly International Cesarean Awareness Network (ICAN) group. This free group meets the second Tuesday evening of the month. It is a place where women can feel supported as they share experiences and knowledge surrounding cesarean births. The ICAN website is a wonderful resource for information including articles about VBACs (vaginal birth after cesarean), things you can do to avoid an unnecessary cesarean section, and how to plan for a family centered cesarean.

Here are some other resources that may be helpful:
VBAC.com
Birthing From Within - Cesarean in Awareness
Childbirth Connection - Cesarean
Mothering Magazine - Cesarean & VBAC

If you are a mom who would like to connect with other cesarean moms, or if you are a mom-to-be looking for cesarean information and support, stop by Blossom or join us for a workshop or group. In whichever ways our births unfold, preparation, support, and opening to the unexpected eases the journey.

Warmly,
Michelle De Jesus
Registration Coordinator

1 comment:

  1. Michelle,
    Thank you for sharing your story.
    And for sharing with other moms the importance of preparing to step into the unknown of how things may unfold in labor (or without)....
    Mendy

    ReplyDelete